In 1925 Hamilton’s and Villagers, believing it was founded in 1875, celebrated their golden jubilees. The two clubs had a joint jubilee committee to organise the celebrations. The Hamiltons members involved were AR Burmeister, JD de Villiers, WE Lawton, AJ Pienaar and HA Solomon. The Villagers men were PS Twentyman-Jones, WFR Schreiner, RB McIntyre, ED Tudhope and EF van der Riet. But the workhorse behind it all was Mrs Stephan.
The rugby match was played at Newlands on 2 May. The WP Rugby Union allocated 250 stand tickets for the clubs. Six teams played, including the Old Crocks. Playing for the Hamiltons Old Crocks were some famous names – Arthur Burmeister, Sport Pienaar, Richard Luyt, Alex Reid and Jock Anderson.
HRH the Prince of Wales, later the short-reigned Edward VII, was introduced to the two first teams. Newlands was decorated for the occasion – at a cost of £35. Hamiltons won the main match 12-4 and of the six matches Hamiltons won two, Villagers won two and two were drawn. The teams that day were:
Hamiltons: E Sonnenberg, S Robinson, C Keet, V Bosman, A Fish, J Tindall, W Humphreys, PJ Bayly (captain), KL Hogsett, T Kruger, W Swan, F Jameson, G Allken, R Scott, J Brown
Villagers: T Davies, PW Krige, G Findlay, JK van Niekerk, EF van der Riet, JA van Niekerk, R Brunt, FW Mellish (captain), J Findlay, AI de Villiers, HF Melck, R Archer, A Wood, J Shannon, W Hennessy.
The referee was WA Millar. From the gate the WPRFU made a grant to the Club of £125 for developing the grounds.
The committee elected for the jubilee year was as follows:
President: JGB Heyneman
Vice-president: A Blair
Captain: PJ Bayly
Secretary & Treasurer: JC Haswell
Assistant secretary: A Vercueil
Committee: DS Bam, FA Burmeister, LE Helm, CL Keet, WE Lawton, RR Solomon, JC Tindall
WE Lawton was elected chairman by the committee.
A joint Hamiltons-Villagers dinner was held that same day, 2 May 1925, at the Cadag Hotel at 12/6d a head. A Jubilee Ball was held, organised by Mrs Stephan. It raised the amount of £135 16s 0d. The two clubs combined to buy Mrs Stephan “certain silverware” purchased from Messrs Fletcher & Cartwright at a cost of £10 12s 6d.
Hamiltons ended the 1920s in triumph. The Club won the Grand and Town Challenge cups. The players who played were: G Michau, E Sonnenberg, G Pinchin, HW Morgan, A Uys, WJ Steensma, EHF Mellish, L Adkins, V Viljoen, AF Fish, A Zoutendyk, GH Brand, CE Louw, JC Tindall (captain), SP van Wyk, PJ Bayly, JG Siveright, D Doherty, AE Gordon, BL Osler, AE Herbst.
In 1932 the Club membership exceeded 750 and fielded 8 teams. But then more than 40 new members would join each year