On an overcast cool afternoon in Sea Point our Hamilton 1st XV took on St George’s on Saturday. Our mission was to ensure that we kept the Hammies machine rolling applying pressure on the rest of the SLA sides as we set our sights on winning the Grand Challenge. Continue reading Hamiltons put St George’s to the Sword
What a great end to the Tournament as we finally hit our straps and ran in 10 tries against Despatch at Rustenberg today securing 3rd spot in the Cell C Community Cup for the second year running. Continue reading Hammies vs Despatch – Community Cup 3rd Place Play-Off Images
The playing and management team left Cape Town early on Wednesday morning to make our way through to the Community Cup Play Offs for 2015. Having toppped our group with a final game thriller against Evergreens 2 weeks ago, the focus was on Wesbank in the Quarter Final. Continue reading Hamilton’s vs Wesbank – Match Report
In 1925 Hamilton’s and Villagers, believing it was founded in 1875, celebrated their golden jubilees. The two clubs had a joint jubilee committee to organise the celebrations. The Hamiltons members involved were AR Burmeister, JD de Villiers, WE Lawton, AJ Pienaar and HA Solomon. The Villagers men were PS Twentyman-Jones, WFR Schreiner, RB McIntyre, ED Tudhope and EF van der Riet. But the workhorse behind it all was Mrs Stephan.
The rugby match was played at Newlands on 2 May. The WP Rugby Union allocated 250 stand tickets for the clubs. Six teams played, including the Old Crocks. Playing for the Hamiltons Old Crocks were some famous names – Arthur Burmeister, Sport Pienaar, Richard Luyt, Alex Reid and Jock Anderson.
HRH the Prince of Wales, later the short-reigned Edward VII, was introduced to the two first teams. Newlands was decorated for the occasion – at a cost of £35. Hamiltons won the main match 12-4 and of the six matches Hamiltons won two, Villagers won two and two were drawn. The teams that day were:
Hamiltons: E Sonnenberg, S Robinson, C Keet, V Bosman, A Fish, J Tindall, W Humphreys, PJ Bayly (captain), KL Hogsett, T Kruger, W Swan, F Jameson, G Allken, R Scott, J Brown
Villagers: T Davies, PW Krige, G Findlay, JK van Niekerk, EF van der Riet, JA van Niekerk, R Brunt, FW Mellish (captain), J Findlay, AI de Villiers, HF Melck, R Archer, A Wood, J Shannon, W Hennessy.
The referee was WA Millar. From the gate the WPRFU made a grant to the Club of £125 for developing the grounds.
The committee elected for the jubilee year was as follows:
President: JGB Heyneman
Vice-president: A Blair
Captain: PJ Bayly
Secretary & Treasurer: JC Haswell
Assistant secretary: A Vercueil
Committee: DS Bam, FA Burmeister, LE Helm, CL Keet, WE Lawton, RR Solomon, JC Tindall
WE Lawton was elected chairman by the committee.
A joint Hamiltons-Villagers dinner was held that same day, 2 May 1925, at the Cadag Hotel at 12/6d a head. A Jubilee Ball was held, organised by Mrs Stephan. It raised the amount of £135 16s 0d. The two clubs combined to buy Mrs Stephan “certain silverware” purchased from Messrs Fletcher & Cartwright at a cost of £10 12s 6d.
Hamiltons ended the 1920s in triumph. The Club won the Grand and Town Challenge cups. The players who played were: G Michau, E Sonnenberg, G Pinchin, HW Morgan, A Uys, WJ Steensma, EHF Mellish, L Adkins, V Viljoen, AF Fish, A Zoutendyk, GH Brand, CE Louw, JC Tindall (captain), SP van Wyk, PJ Bayly, JG Siveright, D Doherty, AE Gordon, BL Osler, AE Herbst.
In 1932 the Club membership exceeded 750 and fielded 8 teams. But then more than 40 new members would join each year